Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Walking Stick Insect

Needing to take a short break from a painting I was working on, I decided to go for a walk in the woods behind the artist's residence building. 

Not long into my walk, a slight movement caught my eye and I saw this creature (do you see it? look carefully!) scaling the trunk of a tree.  It is a walking stick a surprisingly common insect, but in all my explorations in the woods throughout my life, I never found one. As you can see, they are experts in disguise.  I watched this insect walk up the tree trunk to a limb, where it stretched out and "became" just another twig   It was so well disguised that my camera could not adequate focus on it, reading the insect as just a part of the background.

Fortunately, I was able to snap this picture as it was scuttling up the tree and before it "disappeared".

DoAn
Subscribe in a reader

Donate now!

DoAn Art is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions for the purposes of DoAn Art must be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. 


All artwork, photos and text © Copyright 2005-2009 DoAn Art (Antony Galbraith) unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Antony Galbraith.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...