Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ask the Artist: A New Series

I am starting a new series of blog posts called "Ask the Artist".  Once a month I will be answering questions posed to me by my readers, which focus on art making and making a living with art. If you have questions about my art, how I create my pieces or just questions in general about art, please send them my way. I will answer them to the best of my ability, even contacting fellow creative people when possible to broaden the scope of the answer.  The purpose of these posts is to help demystify the creative process for those who may not think of themselves as artistic and to help encourage other artists to find a life in the arts.  Here is the first question launching this series:

At what point in your career do you go from considering yourself someone who makes art to a full-fledged artist?

I think this is a question that must be answered individually and determined by the artist alone.
I might even suggest that there is no dividing line between one who makes art and one who is an artist.  In my training and practice of Buddhism, the Zen Master always cautioned about labeling oneself.  As soon as we state, "I am this" or "I am an Artist" one limits oneself to that definition and must then begin to determine the parameters of this identity.  Questions such as "what is an artist?" beg to be asked.  Or "how do I know I am an artist?"  These statements and the answers to them limit us as well: "if I am an artist, can I be anything else?"  Such questions can take a lifetime to answer.  Hence, the eternal Buddhist question: "Who am I?"

Instead, the Zen Master suggested, we identify with what we do.  "I paint." "I make sculpture." "I write." "I drink tea."  We are not limiting our identities this way, and thus, the question of when or how one becomes an artist isn't necessary.  We are not self-limited to our ideas of what an artist may or may not be nor beholden to others definitions of what an artist might be. 

Possibilities are wide open. We just create. I think that is what is important.

DoAn
Subscribe in a reader

Donate now!

DoAn Art is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions in behalf of DoAn Art may be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

All artwork, photos and text © Copyright 2005-2009 DoAn Art (Antony Galbraith) unless indicated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Any downloading, copying or use of images on this website is strictly prohibited without express written consent by Antony Galbraith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting concept, and I'm glad someone's brought it up. I like to think of myself as "writing" because that is what I do -- I write. But, also, when someone asks, I automatically say "I'm a writer." And I'm comfortable with that as meaning "I write," at least to me.

I think that's why I hate the word "author." It's just so confining and pretentious as opposed to suggesting a "state of being."

Antony Galbraith said...

The key, I believe, is owning your own identity, rather than waiting on the permission of another to identify you. If one wants to be a full-fledged artist, then it is up to that person to become that. I don't believe there is a prescription or series of initiations other than just sitting down and doing it.

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...