Saturday, January 13, 2007

SOMETHING DIFFERENT


Stroke6 (13 x 17, Chinese watercolor, ink, acrylic on watercolor paper, SOLD).

Work on the paintings in the From Beyond the Ninth Wave series continues, but due to the amount of glaze work involved the paintings are taking a bit longer to complete. I should have a new one to post in another week or so. In the meantime, here is a painting that came about as a result of a commission I had been asked to do recently. The commission was a welcome challenge that found me returning to my brush painting/calligraphy techniques.

The painting pictured above (Stroke6) was completed using ink, acrylic, and Chinese watercolors. One thing I enjoy about Chinese watercolors is their density due to the high mineral content. The paints need to be well dissolved with water in order to create smooth, even washes. I only added a little water to the paint, to prevent the minerals from dissolving evenly. The result is an interesting abstract pattern that gives the painting some subtle texture.

DoAn

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...