Friday, January 26, 2007

Beag: Keeper of the Well of Wisdom (SOLD)


At last, the latest painting for the From Beyond the Ninth Wave series is completed. This one is entitled Beag: Keeper of the Well of Wisdom. The goddess Beag (pronounced: BEG), possessed a magic well, which was guarded by her three daughters. When the Irish hero Fionn Mac Cumhail came to the well to ask for a drink the daughters tried to keep him from getting the water. One of the daughters threw water over him to frighten him away, but some of the water trickled into his mouth, giving him wisdom.

This painting is comprised of A LOT of glaze work. Using only three colors (Yellow, Magenta, and Blue), I made fine washes of color over each other, sometimes adding up to 20 layers in places to create colors of depth and intensity. I washed over some of the colors with thin layers of white to create the cloudiness and veiled look to some of the colors. The reference to the painting was a part of the Orion Nebula. I used mainly the color and shapes of the nebula to inspire me, but as I worked on the painting it began to take its own shape. Perhaps Beag was imparting some wisdom upon me? Well, I will have to get back to you about that.

DoAn

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...